Friday, May 15, 2009

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Part 1

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest took my interest the first time I opened it. I felt that reading about the events that happened in a Psychiatric Ward would be entertaining to me. Usually in school we read about Shakespeare or something boring like that but this book is something that has held my attention and makes me want to read more.

My favorite character in the book so far is Chief Broom because he chooses to act deaf so that people won't pay attention to him. Since he doesn't converse with other people, he hears things that people wouldn't want people to hear because they don't think he's listening. I think Broom is extremely clever because since he is keeping to himself, he will keep him from confronting with others, and it keeps him from getting into trouble.

Another character who interests me is Nurse Bromden, who is in charge of the ward and is feared by most patients. The people who have been checked into the ward can not fully operate on their own which makes Nurse Bromden a type of an authority figure in the ward. In class we talked about whether Nurse Bromden was attractive. This could be the main reason almost everyone in the ward fear her so much. If she was attractive, maybe she wouldn't be as intimidating and people could like her more. All in all i feel this book will definitely keep my attention throughout the rest of year and keep me wanting to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment